Florence: Useful Information
City of Stone
- Book your museum tickets in advance then on arrival you can bypass the queues, head straight to an 'advance booking' desk, collect your tickets and enter.
- Italian trade unions hold strikes with tedious regularity. Those on public transport are usually announced in advance though.
- Florence is mainly pedestrianised so make sure you get a good map as it is much easier to find your way around on foot.
- The cheapest place to eat is in the bars and cafes. Panninis are great value.
- Keep your eye on taxi drivers and look at meter before you pay, as they can try and take advantage.
- Pickpockets are pretty rife here, so keep your eye on your belongings at all times and don’t put your bags down in bars etc. Tourists are easy pickings for thieves!