Geneva: Useful Information
The Peace Capital
• Use the public transport in Geneva. It is convenient, reliable and inexpensive.
• Try and speak French where possible. Businesses will appreciate any attempts made.
• Carry your passport or a copy of it on any bus tours or coach trips if you are planning to cross the border.
• Most shops are open from 9am until 7pm. Some smaller boutiques or stores close for lunch. Department stores and malls stay open until 9pm on Thursdays. Most shops are closed all day on Sundays.
• The European number for emergencies is 112. You will then be asked which service you require.
• If you are planning to drive on Swiss motorways, don’t forget to purchase a vignette toll sticker.
• Geneva is one hour ahead of the GMT time.
• The telephone area code for Switzerland is 0041
• Cars drive on the right hand side of the road in Geneva.
• The main language spoken in Geneva is French.