Hong Kong: Useful Information
The Pearl of the Orient
- Hong Kong is safe but be careful of pickpockets.
- Wear your walking shoes! You’ll need them.
- Street names are generally in both English and Chinese, but many shops and businesses have only Chinese signs.
- Respect local customs and beliefs.
- Do not lose your temper.
- Taxis are expensive.
- Don’t rent a car if you do not have to - parking is very expensive and traffic is thick.
- Hong Kong is -8 GMT and does not participate in Daylight Savings Time.
- Be aware of smog.
- Make sure you have adequate insurance.
- July to September is the typhoon season.
- Tipping is not mandatory but is expected: 10% in restaurants, 10% for taxis.
- All foreigners visiting Hong Kong need a visa to do so.
- In rural areas toilets may not be well maintained or have toilet paper.