San Francisco: Useful Information
- Tipping is the norm and should be done for all restaurants and cafés – at least 15%. Don’t forget hotel staff such as cleaners (about $1 every time they do something for you), tour guides and drivers, as well as taxis (15%).
- Pre-book tours to Alcatraz, it will save you a lot of waiting. Be sure to get a confirmation number and confirm the time.
- Make sure you are at the departure gate for the ferry half an hour before the ferry leaves for Alcatraz.
- If you want unlimited rides on public transport and admission to the main attractions in San Francisco get a 7-day San Francisco City Pass for $113.14. If you not bothered by the attractions, you can get a Visitors Passport, which entitles you unlimited rides on the buses and trams, as well as the cable cars. You can get a San Francisco Visitors Passport for 1-day, 3-day and 7-days. Prices for a Visitors Passport range from $11 to $24.
- You should get on a bus in the front, pay with exact change or show pass, and exist from the back.
- Sales tax (8.5% for retail goods) is not included in the price and will be added at the till.
- Take comfortable walking shoes and warm layers, it can get chilly in the fog.
- Don’t call it “Frisco” – the locals hate that name. They refer to it as “The City”.